Back

ⓘ Irvington, Baltimore




Irvington, Baltimore
                                     

ⓘ Irvington, Baltimore

Irvington is a neighborhood in the Southwest District of Baltimore, located between Yale Heights neighborhood to the west and the Gwynns Falls neighborhood to the east. It was historically nicknamed "Skulltown" for its three large cemeteries: Loudon Park, Mount Olivet and New Cathedral.

More than 50 percent of the homes in Irvington were built before 1950. Its population in 2008 was estimated at 4.548.

The communitys boundary with the Gwynns Falls neighborhood is drawn by Caton Avenue and the MARC Penn Line. Its boundary with Yale Heights follows Maiden Choice Run from Frederick Avenue north to Loudon Park Cemetery south. Irvingtons southwest corner encompasses Loudon Park Cemetery, ending at Beechfield Avenue west, where it meets the Beechfield neighborhood and Wilkens Avenue south.

                                     

1. Public transportation

MTA Route 10 passes through Irvington as it travels between Dundalk and Catonsville. The bus serves stops on Frederick Avenue and Yale Avenue.

Quickbus Route 46 stops at Frederick Avenue and Augusta Avenue in Irvington as it travels between the Paradise Avenue loop and the Cedonia loop. It operates only on weekdays, from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m.

                                     

2. Schools

Mount St. Joseph College, located at 4403 Frederick Avenue in Irvington, is a Catholic high school for boys in grades 9 through 12. It was founded in 1876 by the Xavarian Brothers on the former Lusby estate.

St. Joseph Monastery School, founded in 1889 by the Passionists Priests of St. Josephs Monastery, was established as a parish school on the property known as Cedar Lawn. The School Sisters of Notre Dame assumed responsibility for teaching at the school and on August 22, 1890, the first three Sisters arrived. Forty students were enrolled at its opening. As enrollment grew rapidly, a separate school building was constructed in Irvington at 3601 Old Frederick Road. On February 22, 1893, St. Josephs Monastery School was dedicated by Cardinal Gibbons. In 1923, a new convent was completed to house the growing community of Sisters. Enrollment continued to increase and on October 3, 1954, ground was broken for a new 12-classroom addition to the school, offering enrollment from first through eighth grades. On September 18, 1955, the two-story brick addition to the school was blessed by Archbishop Keough. The school had steady enrollment until an increasing number of families began moving to the suburbs.

St. Bernardines Catholic School, previously St. Josephs Monastery School, opened in 1997 at 3601 Old Frederick Road, offering enrollment to kindergarten through grade 8. It closed its doors on June 4, 2010. The school was one of 13 in the archdiocese selected for closing at the end of the 2009/2010 school year.

                                     

2.1. Schools Nearby schools

Two public schools are located in adjoining neighborhoods.

  • Sarah M. Roach Elementary School, at 3434 Old Frederick Road in the neighborhood of St. Joseph, serves pre-kindergarten through grade 5.
  • Beechfield Elementary School, at 301 South Beechfield Avenue in Yale Heights, serves children from pre-kindergarten through grade 6.
                                     

3.1. Significant landmarks Irvington Theatre

Since it opened at 4113 Frederick Avenue in January 1925, the Irvington Theatre, with its marquee sign, was a prominent landmark of the community. After remodeling in 1967, it was renamed the Irvington Cinema and began screening classic and foreign films.

The cinemas marquee became a somewhat less welcome presence, in a predominately Catholic neighborhood, when the cinema began screening adult films in 1969. It closed in May 1971 in response to local protests. In September 1971, the building was converted into a church. A marquee sign is no longer attached to the building.

                                     

3.2. Significant landmarks St. Joseph Monastery

St. Joseph Passionist Monastery and St. Josephs Monastery Parish, located at 3801 Old Frederick Road, constructed from blue granite blocks, are among the citys most beautiful historic structures. The Passionist Order was invited to Baltimore in 1865 by Archbishop Martin John Spalding. In 1868, the Passionists built a small wooden church on a tract of land along Frederick Avenue, opposite Loudon Park Cemetery. This building became known as the "Church of the Passion", marking the beginning of St. Josephs Monastery Parish.

Construction of a new, larger church began in 1881 and was completed in 1883. Its cornerstone was placed by Cardinal James Gibbons. The original monastery, beside the church, burned down in 1883. A new monastery was completed in 1886. The monastery chapel is extant and contains an 1887 Niemann pipe organ.

The congregation of St. Josephs Monastery Parish outgrew their church building in the following century. In 1931, Archbishop Michael Joseph Curley placed the cornerstone for the parishs current church building. It was completed on October 2, 1932.

In April 2014, Father Thomas McCann, administrator of St. Josephs, announced that the Passionist Priests would "no longer shepherd" St. Josephs Monastery Church after 149 years of residence. The orders departure date was scheduled for June 30, 2014. The Very Rev. Robert Joerger, the provincial of the Passionists, reflected on the advanced age of many members of his religious order, as well as the declining numbers of that order, in the decision to leave Baltimore for other places. The Archdiocese of Baltimore assumed responsibility for St. Josephs facilities on June 30, 2014.

Users also searched:

irvington, baltimore, neighborhoods in baltimore. irvington, baltimore,

...
Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →