ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 348



                                               

Altoona Tribune

It was launched on January 1, 1856, by Ephraim B. McCrum and William M. Allison, with equipment purchased from the defunct Altoona Register. Two years later, H. C. Dern acquired Allisons share of the company, and in 1875, Hugh Pitcairn replaced M ...

                                               

American Consolidated Media

American Consolidated Media was a United States publisher of approximately 100 daily and weekly newspapers, which it divested in 2014. In March 2014, ACM announced the it was selling three of its regional newspaper groups, encompassing 34 publica ...

                                               

Bay State Newspaper Company

Bay State Newspaper Company, based in Somerville, Massachusetts, United States, was a publisher of weekly newspapers in suburbs north of Boston. It was formed in 1991 by Fidelity Investments after it bought Dole Publishing from its longtime owner ...

                                               

Beacon Communications Corporation

This article is about a defunct publisher in Massachusetts. For the newspaper company in Rhode Island, see Beacon Communications publisher. Beacon Communications Corp. was a newspaper publisher in Acton, Massachusetts, United States, operating a ...

                                               

Brush-Moore Newspapers

Brush-Moore Newspapers, Inc. was a United States newspaper group based in Ohio which had its origins in 1923 and was sold to Thomson Newspapers in 1967 for million, the largest ever newspaper transaction at that time. In 1923, Louis Herbert Brush ...

                                               

Community Weeklies

Community Weeklies Inc., based in Woburn, Massachusetts, United States, founded three weekly newspapers in the suburbs north of Boston before being bought by Fidelity Investments in 1994 and dissolved into Community Newspaper Company two years la ...

                                               

Mariner Group

Mariner Group, based in Marshfield, Massachusetts, United States, was a chain of weekly newspapers in the suburban South Shore near Boston, Massachusetts, United States. Founded in 1972 with one paper, the Marshfield Mariner, the group was sold i ...

                                               

Memorial Press Group

Memorial Press Group, based in Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States, was a chain of weekly newspapers along the South Shore near Boston, Massachusetts. Long owned by The Patriot Ledger in nearby Quincy, MPG and its daily parent were sold to Gat ...

                                               

National Gazette

The National Gazette was a Democratic-Republican partisan newspaper that was first published on October 31, 1791. It was edited and published semiweekly by poet and printer Philip Freneau until October 23, 1793. The National Gazette was founded a ...

                                               

Norfolk Newspaper Company

Norfolk Newspaper Company, based in Mansfield, Massachusetts, United States, founded three weekly newspapers in the suburbs south of Boston before being bought by Fidelity Investments in 1990 and dissolved into Community Newspaper Company six yea ...

                                               

North Shore Weeklies

North Shore Weeklies Inc., based in Ipswich, Massachusetts, United States, was a newspaper publisher on Massachusetts North Shore and one of the original subsidiaries of Community Newspaper Company, now the largest publisher of weeklies in Massac ...

                                               

Barnards Express

Barnards Express, later known as the British Columbia Express Company or BX, was a pioneer transportation company that served the Cariboo and Fraser-Fort George regions in British Columbia, Canada from 1861 until 1921. The companys beginnings dat ...

                                               

Canadian Land and Emigration Company

The Canadian Land and Emigration Company was an English company formed in 1861 to promote the sale of lands in the Province of Canada, most of which would later form the Municipality of Dysart et al in Haliburton County.

                                               

Gilmour Lumber Company

The Gilmour Lumber Company was one of the giants of the Canadian timber industry. Their involvement in lumbering began modestly in the 1790s in the area of Glasgow, Scotland where Allan Gilmour Sr. started a small timber merchandising business. I ...

                                               

VR Class Vr3

Before 1942 VR Class Vr3 s originally had the class name was O1. They were nicknamed" Rooster” / "Cockerel" and they have the same frames and boiler as the Vr Class Pr1 locomotive. The first locomotive was ordered in 1924 from Hanomag of Germany, ...

                                               

Asta Kask

Asta Kask is a punk band from Toreboda, Sweden. It was founded as "X-tas" in 1978, but changed to Asta Kask in 1980. In 1984 the band started working with Rosa Honung Records. After the 1986 release of the "Aldrig en LP" the band split up. In 198 ...

                                               

Franky Lee

Franky Lee is a rock band from Sweden formed in 2006 by Mathias Farm, Fredrik Granberg and Magnus Hagerås. The band was formed at a party that all three members attended, and takes the name Franky Lee from a Bob Dylan song called "The Ballad of F ...

                                               

Kid Down

Kid Down was signed to Burning Heart Records and released their two first albums called The Noble Art Of Irony 2007, I Want My Girlfriend Rich 2008. In 2010 an album called Murphys Law was released online by the band. After "Murphys Law" was rele ...

                                               

Looptroop Rockers

Looptroop Rockers is a hip hop group from Vasterås, Sweden. The members are rappers Promoe, Supreme, DJ/Producer Embee and CosM.I.C. On their fourth album, Good Things, the group changed its name from Looptroop to Looptroop Rockers, a name used u ...

                                               

Chicago Livestock World

Chicago Livestock World was a daily newspaper published at the Union Stock Yards in Chicago, Illinois in 1900. Located in Chicagos meatpacking district, it reported information about the livestock market, agricultural advice, advertisements, and ...

                                               

Chicago Record-Herald

The Chicago Record-Herald was a newspaper published in Chicago, Illinois from 1901 until 1914. It was the successor to the Chicago Morning Herald, the Chicago Times Herald and the Chicago Record. H. H. Kohlsaat, owner of the Times-Herald, bought ...

                                               

Chicago Seed (newspaper)

Seed was an underground newspaper launched by artist Don Lewis and Earl Segal, owner of the Molehole, a local poster shop, and published biweekly in Chicago, Illinois from May 1967 to 1974; there were 121 issues published in all. Disagreements be ...

                                               

Chicago Times

The Chicago Times was a newspaper in Chicago from 1854 to 1895, when it merged with the Chicago Herald. The Times was founded in 1854 by James W. Sheahan, with the backing of Democrat and attorney Stephen A. Douglas, and was identified as a pro-s ...

                                               

Daily Calumet

The Daily Calumet was a Chicago newspaper that existed from 1881 until 1987. It was at one time billed as "Americas Oldest Daily Community Newspaper." The Daily Calumet was located at 9120 S. Baltimore Ave., Chicago, in the South Chicago neighbor ...

                                               

Der Hochwachter

Der Hochwachter, literally "The High Guard", was an American German language newspaper published in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was published from 1845 to 1849. The paper was established by German political activists who fled the German states after the ...

                                               

Coulters

Coulters was a department store that originated in Downtown Los Angeles and later moved to the Miracle Mile shopping district in that same city. It was founded by B. F. Coulter, a minister and entrepreneur from Kentucky, in 1878, at the corner of ...

                                               

Desmonds (department store)

Desmonds was a Los Angeles-based department store, during its existence second only to Harris & Frank as the oldest Los Angeles retail chain, founded in 1862 as a hat shop by Daniel Desmond near the Los Angeles Plaza. The chain went out of busine ...

                                               

B. H. Dyas

B. H. Dyas Co. was a Los Angeles sporting goods retailer that turned into a department store and went out of business in the 1930s, owned by Bernal Hubert Dyas.

                                               

Haggartys

Haggartys was a department store chain founded in Los Angeles in 1906 and which closed in May 1970 due to not keeping up with fashion trends and a resulting.4 million in debts. It had more than a dozen branches at its peak. The chain was founded ...

                                               

Harris & Frank

Harris & Frank was a Los Angeles-based clothing retailer founded by Leopold Harris in Los Angeles in 1856, only eight years after the city had passed from Mexican to American control.

                                               

Hensheys

Hensheys was a major department store in Downtown Santa Monica, California founded by Harry Henshey and partners, the first department store on Los Angeles Westside. It opened in 1925 as the Bay Department Store, at four stories and 25.000 square ...

                                               

Mullen & Bluett

Mullen & Bluett was a Los Angeles-based department store specializing in mens clothing. It was founded by Andrew Mullen and W. C. Bluett in the 1880s, at the corner of Spring and First Streets in Downtown Los Angeles. Arthur R. Mullen took over m ...

                                               

Myer Siegel

Myer Siegel was a Los Angeles-based department store, founded by Mr. Myer Siegel, specializing in womens clothing. Myer Siegel established his store in 1886 at 218 N. Spring St., at that time selling only childrens wear and lingerie. On April 7, ...

                                               

Nashs

Nashs was a Pasadena, California-based department store which grew into a small chain. Nashs was founded in 1889 by Hammond G. Nash, who developed his grocery on Colorado Street into a full department store. He continued to open locations in near ...

                                               

Phelps-Terkel

Phelps-Terkel was a Los Angeles based department store specializing in mens clothing. Its Miracle Mile, Los Angeles Modernist store at 5550 Wilshire Boulevard, corner of S. Burnside Avenue, was considered a landmark by the Los Angeles Conservancy ...

                                               

Rankins

Rankins was a department store at 117 W. Fourth Street at Sycamore in downtown Santa Ana, California. The Rankin Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places on its own and also as a contributing property of the Downtown Santa A ...

                                               

Roberts

Roberts was a department store based in Long Beach, California. The chain began when Morris Burman opened the first store in East Los Angeles. In 1950, Burman bought an existing store in North Long Beach at 5350 Long Beach Blvd., and opened it as ...

                                               

Silverwoods

Silverwoods was a mens clothing store chain founded in Los Angeles in 1894 by Francis Bernard Silverwood, a Canadian-American originally from near Lindsay, Ontario. The first store was located at 124 S. Spring St., then moved to a larger location ...

                                               

Ville de Paris (department store)

French emigre Auguste Fusenot French Consul in Los Angeles 1898–1907 arrived in the U.S. in 1873 and soon became a partner in San Franciscos City of Paris store. After learning the business, he founded the Ville de Paris in Los Angeles in 1893. I ...

                                               

Webbs

Webbs was a department store, the first in Glendale, California. It had locations in the Glendale Fashion Center and in Redlands, California. The Glendale store closed in 1985 due to falling sales. For half a century, Webbs was the only major dep ...

                                               

Anacostia and Potomac River Railroad

The Anacostia and Potomac River Railroad Company was the fourth streetcar company to operate in Washington, D.C., and the first to cross the Anacostia River. It was chartered in 1870, authorized by Congress in 1875 and built later that year. The ...

                                               

Baltimore and Washington Transit Company

The Baltimore and Washington Transit Company was incorporated in Maryland in the 1890s to build an interurban between Baltimore and Washington, and was authorized to enter Washington to a junction with the Brightwood Railway on June 8, 1896. The ...

                                               

Capital Traction Company

The Capital Traction Company was the smaller of the two major street railway companies in Washington, D.C., in the early 20th century. It was formed through a merger of the Rock Creek Railway and the Washington and Georgetown Railroad Company in ...

                                               

Chesapeake Beach Railway

The Chesapeake Beach Railway, now defunct, was an American railroad of southern Maryland and Washington, D.C., built in the 19th century. The CBR ran 27.629 miles from Washington, D.C., on tracks formerly owned by the Southern Maryland Railroad a ...

                                               

Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railroad

                                               

Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railroad

The Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railway was an American railroad of central Maryland and Washington, D.C., built in the 19th and 20th century. The WB&A absorbed two older railroads, the Annapolis and Elk Ridge Railroad and th ...

                                               

Washington and Georgetown Railroad

The Washington and Georgetown Railroad Company was the first streetcar company to operate in Washington, D.C. It was incorporated and started operations in 1862, using horse-drawn cars on tracks between Georgetown and the Navy Yard. Two additiona ...

                                               

Peckett OQ Class

The Peckett OQ Class is a class of 0-6-0ST steam locomotives built in Bristol, England, by Peckett and Sons. Three locomotives were built, no. 2124 for Tower Colliery in 1951 and nos. 2150 and 2151 for Mardy Colliery in 1954. No. 2150 has been pr ...

                                               

Main Street Historic District (Webster, Massachusetts)

The Main Street Historic District encompasses the historic late 19th and early 20th-century commercial heart of Webster, Massachusetts. It consists of fourteen buildings on Main Street in downtown Webster, between High and Church Streets. This ar ...

                                               

Spaulding Block

The Spaulding Block is a historic commercial building on 141–143 Main Street in Webster, Massachusetts. One of the oldest commercial buildings in Webster, this three story brick building was built in 1866 by Cyrus Spaulding, and housed his hardwa ...

Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →